News Release 21-044
Inv. No(s). 701-TA-652 and 731-TA-1524-1525 (Final)
Contact: Peg O'Laughlin, 202-205-1819
The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of silicon metal from Bosnia and Herzegovina and Iceland that the U.S. Department of Commerce (Commerce) has determined sold in the United States at less than fair value and subsidized by the government of Kazakhstan.
Chair Jason E. Kearns, Vice Chair Randolph J. Stayin, and Commissioners David S. Johanson, Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, and Amy A. Karpel voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, Commerce will issue a countervailing duty order on imports of this product from Kazakhstan and antidumping duty orders on imports of this product from Bosnia and Herzegovina and Iceland.
The Commission also made a negative critical circumstances finding with regard to imports of this product from Iceland. As a result, these imports will not be subject to retroactive antidumping duties.
The Commission’s public report Silicon Metal from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, and Kazakhstan (Inv. Nos. 701-TA-652 and 731-TA-1524-1525 (Final), USITC Publication 5180, April 2021) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available by April 27, 2021; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: http://pubapps.usitc.gov/applications/publogs/qry_publication_loglist.asp.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Silicon Metal from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, and Kazakhstan
Investigation Nos. 701-TA-652 and 731-TA-1524-1525 (Final)
Product Description: Silicon metal of all forms and sizes, including silicon powder, containing at least 85.00 percent but less than 99.99 percent silicon and less than 4.00 percent iron by actual weight. Specifically excluded is semiconductor grade silicon (containing at least 99.99 percent silicon by actual weight and classifiable under Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (HTSUS) subheading 2804.61.00).
Status of Proceedings:
1. Type of investigations: Final countervailing duty and antidumping duty investigations.
2. Petitioners: Globe Specialty Metals, Inc., Beverly, OH, and Mississippi Silicon LLC, Burnsville, MS.
3. USITC Institution Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2020.
4. USITC Hearing Date: Monday, February 22, 2021.
5. USITC Vote Date: Wednesday, March 24, 2021.
6. USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Monday, April 12, 2021.
U.S. Industry in 2020:
1. Number of U.S. producers: 3.
2. Location of producers’ plants: Alabama, Mississippi, New York, Ohio, and West Virginia.
3. Production and related workers: 
4. U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: 1
5. Apparent U.S. consumption: 1
6. Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 1
U.S. Imports in 2020:
1. Subject imports: $40 million.
2. Nonsubject imports: $230 million.
3. Leading import sources: Brazil, Canada, Norway, Malaysia, Australia.
 Withheld to avoid disclosure of business proprietary information.