News Release 17-176
Inv. No(s). 701-TA-565 and 731-TA-1341 (Final)
Contact: Peg O'Laughlin, 202-205-1819
The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of hardwood plywood from China that the U.S. Department of Commerce (Commerce) has determined are sold in the United States at less than fair value and subsidized by the government of China.
Chairman Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, Vice Chairman David S. Johanson, and Commissioners Irving A. Williamson and Meredith M. Broadbent voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the USITC’s affirmative determinations, Commerce will issue antidumping and countervailing duty orders on imports of this product from China.
The Commission also made a negative finding concerning critical circumstances with regard to imports of this product. As a result, imports of hardwood plywood from China will not be subject to retroactive antidumping or countervailing duties.
The Commission’s public report Hardwood Plywood from China (Investigation Nos. 701-TA-565 and 731-TA-1341 (Final), USITC Publication 4747, December 2017) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available by January 10, 2018; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: http://pubapps.usitc.gov/applications/publogs/qry_publication_loglist.asp.
Product Description: Hardwood plywood is a wood panel product made from gluing two or more layers of wood veneer to a core which may itself be composed of veneers or other type of wood material. The outer ply or face veneer is typically the identifying species for the hardwood plywood product and is the side of the product that will be visible in most uses. A wide variety of hardwood species is used in hardwood plywood manufacturing including oak, birch, maple, poplar, cherry, and tropical varieties.
Status of Proceedings:
1. Type of investigation: Final phase antidumping duty and countervailing duty investigations.
2. Petitioners: Columbia Forest Products, Greensboro, NC; Commonwealth Plywood Inc., Whitehall, NY; Murphy Plywood Co., Eugene, OR; Roseburg Forest Products Co., Roseburg, OR; States Industries, Inc., Eugene, OR; and Timber Products Company, Springfield, OR.
3. USITC Institution Date: Friday, November 18, 2016.
4. USITC Hearing Date: Thursday, October 26, 2017.
5. USITC Vote Date: Friday, December 01, 2017.
6. USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Wednesday, December 20, 2017.
U.S. Industry in 2016:
1. Number of U.S. producers: 9
2. Location of producers’ plants: Arkansas, Indiana, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina, Virginia, Washington, and West Virginia.
3. Production and related workers: 2,294.
4. U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: $790.9 million.
5. Apparent U.S. consumption: $2.0 billion.
6. Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 35.3 percent.
U.S. Imports in 2016:
1. Subject imports: $715.7 million.
2. Nonsubject imports: $518.7 million.
3. Leading import sources: China, Indonesia, Russia, Malaysia, and Ecuador (in terms of total value).