The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that there is a reasonable indication that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of 1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane (R-134a) from China that are allegedly sold in the United States at less than fair value.
All six Commissioners voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determination, the U.S. Department of Commerce will continue to conduct its investigation on imports of this product from China, with its preliminary antidumping duty determination due on or about August 10, 2016.
The Commission’s public report 1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane (R-134a) from China (Investigation No. 731-TA-1313 (Preliminary), USITC Publication 4606, April 2016) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigation.
The report will be available after May 16, 2016. After that date, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: http://pubapps.usitc.gov/applications/publogs/qry_publication_loglist.asp.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Office of Industries
Washington, DC 20436
1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane from China
Investigation No. 731-TA-1313 (Preliminary)
Product Description: 1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane (HFC‐134a or R‐134a) is a clear, colorless liquid or gas, which is gaseous at normal atmospheric conditions. The chemical formula for R-134a is CF3‐CH2F, and the Chemical Abstracts Service (“CAS”) registry number is CAS 811‐97‐2. R-134a is mainly used as a refrigerant for air conditioning (“A/C”) systems. It is the primary refrigerant in mobile (e.g., automobile) A/C systems and can be blended with other chemicals for use in stationary refrigeration systems. R‐134a is also used as a propellant in pharmaceutical, household cleaning, and foam expansion products.
Status of Proceedings:
1. Type of investigation: Preliminary antidumping.
2. Petitioners: The American HFC Coalition and its individual members (Amtrol, Inc., West Warwick, RI; Arkema, Inc., King of Prussia, PA; The Chemours Company FC LLC, Wilmington, DE; Honeywell International Inc., Morristown, NJ; Hudson Technologies, Pearl River, NY; Mexichem Fluor Inc., St. Gabriel, LA; and Worthington Industries, Inc., Columbus, OH) as well as District Lodge 154 of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, Calvert City, KY.
3. Preliminary investigation instituted by the USITC: March 3, 2016.
4. USITC conference: March 24, 2016.
5. USITC vote: April 15, 2016.
6. USITC determination to the U.S. Department of Commerce: April 18, 2016.
7. USITC views to the U.S. Department of Commerce: April 25, 2016.
1. Number of producers in 2015: Three.
2. Location of producers’ plants: Kentucky, Louisiana, and Texas.
3. Employment of production and related workers in 2015: 
4. Apparent U.S. consumption in 2015: 1
5. Ratio of the value of total U.S. imports to total U.S. consumption in 2015: 1
U.S. Imports in 2015:
1. From the subject country during 2015: 1
2. From other countries during 2015: $8.1 million
3. Leading source during 2015: China (in terms of total value)
 Withheld to avoid disclosure of business proprietary information.