News Release 23-095
Inv. No(s). 701-683 and 731-TA-1594-1596
Contact: Elizabeth Nesbitt, 202-205-1819
The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of paper file folders from China, India, and Vietnam that the U.S. Department of Commerce (Commerce) has determined are sold in the United States at less than fair value and subsidized by the Government of India.
Chairman David S. Johanson and Commissioners Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, Jason E. Kearns, and Amy A. Karpel voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, Commerce will issue antidumping duty orders on imports of this product from China, India, and Vietnam and a countervailing duty order on imports of this product from India.
The Commission’s public report Paper File Folders from China, India, and Vietnam (Inv. Nos. 701-683 and 731-TA-1594-1596 (Final), USITC Publication 5472, November 2023) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available by December 11, 2023; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: http://pubapps.usitc.gov/applications/publogs/qry_publication_loglist.asp.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Paper file folders from China, India, and Vietnam
Investigation Nos: 701-TA-683 and 731-TA-1594-1596 (Final)
Product Description: File folders consist primarily of paper, paperboard, pressboard, or other cellulose material, whether coated or uncoated, that has been folded (or creased in preparation to be folded), glued, taped, bound, or otherwise assembled to be suitable for holding documents.
Status of Proceedings:
- Type of investigation: Final countervailing duty and antidumping duty investigations.
- Petitioners: Coalition of Domestic Folder Manufacturers, Hastings, Minnesota and Naperville, IL.1
- USITC Institution Date: Wednesday, October 12, 2022.
- USITC Hearing Date: Tuesday, October 03, 2023.2
- USITC Vote Date: Tuesday, October 31, 2023.
- USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Monday, November 13, 2023.
U.S. Industry in 2022:
- Number of U.S. producers: 3.
- Location of producers’ plants: Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, and Utah.
- Production and related workers: 3
- U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: 3
- Apparent U.S. consumption: 3
- Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 3
U.S. Imports in 2022:
- Subject imports: 3
- Nonsubject imports: 3
- Leading import sources: Mexico, Vietnam, and India (in terms of total value).
1 Consisting of Smead Manufacturing Company, Inc., and TOPS Products LLC.
2 This was the scheduled date for the Commission’s hearing. The hearing was subsequently cancelled, 88 FR 68670, October 4, 2023.
3 Withheld to avoid disclosure of business proprietary information.