The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of pentafluoroethane (R-125) from China that the U.S. Department of Commerce (Commerce) has determined are sold in the United States at less than fair value and subsidized by the government of China.
Chair Jason E. Kearns, Vice Chair Randolph J. Stayin, and Commissioners Rhonda K. Schmidtlein and Amy A. Karpel voted in the affirmative. Commissioner David S. Johanson voted in the negative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, Commerce will issue countervailing and antidumping duty orders on imports of this product from China.
The Commission made a negative finding concerning critical circumstances with regard to imports of this product from China that are sold in the United States at less than fair value and subsidized by the Government of China. As a result, these imports will not be subject to retroactive antidumping and countervailing duties.
The Commission’s public report Pentafluoroethane (R-125) from China (Inv. Nos. 701-TA-662 and 731-TA-1554 (Final), USITC Publication 5281, February 2022) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available by March 7, 2022; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: http://pubapps.usitc.gov/applications/publogs/qry_publication_loglist.asp.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436<
Pentafluoroethane (R-125) from China
Investigation Nos. 701-TA-662 and 731-TA-1554 (Final)
Product Description: Pentafluoroethane (R-125) is a hydrofluorocarbon ("HFC"), a class of man-made chemicals that contain fluorine, carbon, and hydrogen atoms. The chemical formula for R-125 is C2HF5 (also written as CF₃CHF₂). It is typically sold in bulk. R-125 is a colorless, odorless gas that is used primarily as a component in HFC blends, which are used in refrigerant applications such as air conditioning and refrigeration. R-125 is also used as a fire extinguishing agent.
Status of Proceedings:
- Type of investigation: Final countervailing and antidumping duty investigations.
- Petitioner: Honeywell International, Inc., Charlotte, NC.
- USITC Institution Date: Tuesday, January 12, 2021.
- USITC Hearing Date: Tuesday, December 14, 2021.
- USITC Vote Date: Wednesday, February 02, 2022.
- USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Tuesday, February 22, 2022.
U.S. Industry in 2020:
- Number of U.S. producers: 1.
- Location of producer’s plants: Louisiana and North Carolina.
- Production and related workers: 
- U.S. producer’s U.S. shipments: 
- Apparent U.S. consumption: 
- Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 
U.S. Shipments of Imports in 2020:
- Subject sources: $42 million.
- Nonsubject sources: 
- Leading import sources: China.