News Release 21-073
Inv. No(s). 731-TA-1560-1564 (Preliminary)
Contact: Peg O'Laughlin, 202-205-1819
The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that there is a reasonable indication that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of raw honey from Argentina, Brazil, India, Ukraine, and Vietnam that are allegedly sold in the United States at less than fair value.
Chair Jason E. Kearns, Vice Chair Randolph J. Stayin, and Commissioners David S. Johanson, Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, and Amy A. Karpel voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, the U.S. Department of Commerce will continue its investigations of imports of raw honey from Argentina, Brazil, India, Ukraine, and Vietnam, with its preliminary antidumping duty determinations due on or about September 28, 2021.
The Commission’s public report Raw Honey from Argentina, Brazil, India, Ukraine, and Vietnam (Inv. Nos. 731-TA-1560-1564 (Preliminary), USITC Publication 5204, June 2021) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available after July 6, 2021; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: https://www.usitc.gov/commission_publications_library.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Raw Honey from Argentina, Brazil, India, Ukraine, and Vietnam
Investigation Nos. 731-TA-1560-1564 (Preliminary)
Product Description: Honey is a sweet, viscous fluid produced from the nectar of plants and flowers which is collected by honeybees, transformed and combined with substances of their own, and stored and left in honeycombs to mature and ripen. Raw honey is honey as it exists in the beehive or as obtained by extraction, settling and skimming, or straining. Raw honey has not been filtered to a level that results in the removal of most or all of the pollen. Raw honey includes all grades, floral sources, and colors, and also includes organic raw honey.
Status of Proceedings:
1. Type of investigation: Preliminary antidumping duty investigations.
2. Petitioners: American Honey Producers Association ("AHPA"), Bruce, SD, and Sioux Honey Association ("SHA"), Sioux City, IA.
3. USITC Institution Date: April 21, 2021.
4. USITC Conference Date: May 12, 2021.
5. USITC Vote Date: June 04, 2021.
6. USITC Notification to Commerce Date: June 07, 2021.
U.S. Industry in 2020:
1. Number of U.S. producers: approximately 30,000-60,000.
2. Location of producers’ plants: North Dakota, South Dakota, California, Texas, Montana, Florida, Minnesota, and Michigan.
3. Production and related workers: 24,000 (apiary workers).
4. U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: $291 million.
5. Apparent U.S. consumption: $680 million.
6. Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 47.3 percent by value.
U.S. Imports in 2020:
1. Subject imports: $321 million.
2. Nonsubject imports: $74 million.
3. Leading import sources: Argentina, Brazil, India, Ukraine, Vietnam, and Canada.