News Release 21-002
Inv. No(s). 701-TA-632-635 and 731-TA-1466 and 1468 (Final)
Contact: Peg O'Laughlin, 202-205-1819
The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of fluid end blocks from Germany and Italy that the U.S. Department of Commerce (Commerce) has determined are sold in the United States at less than fair value and are subsidized by the governments of China, Germany, India, and Italy.
Chair Jason E. Kearns, Vice Chair Randolph J. Stayin, and Commissioners David S. Johanson, Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, and Amy A. Karpel voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, Commerce will issue countervailing duty orders on imports of this product from China, Germany, India, and Italy and antidumping duty orders on imports of this product from Germany and Italy.
The Commission’s public report Fluid End Blocks from China, Germany, India, and Italy (Inv. Nos. 701-TA-632-635 and 731-TA-1466 and 1468 (Final), USITC Publication 5152, January 2021) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available by February 9, 2021; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: http://pubapps.usitc.gov/applications/publogs/qry_publication_loglist.asp.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Fluid End Blocks from China, Germany, India, and Italy
Investigation Nos. 701-TA-632-635 and 731-TA-1466 and 1468 (Final)
Product Description: Fluid end blocks are steel forgings of a particular chemistry and certain dimensional ranges that are an essential part of a well service pump. Fluid end blocks are incorporated into a fluid end module, which is used in well stimulation processes and are responsible for pressurizing the pumped fluid into the well. Pumps incorporating fluid end blocks are primarily used for drilling or hydraulic fracturing in the oil and gas industry. Some fluid end blocks are incorporated into mud pumps, which use lower pressures and primarily pump water or a mud mixture. Most fluid end blocks are made from stainless steel or non-stainless alloy steel, and many fluid end block producers experiment with different steel chemistries in an effort to improve fluid end block hardness, toughness, strength, and machinability.
Status of Proceedings:
1. Type of investigation: Final phase antidumping and countervailing duty investigations.
2. Petitioner: Ellwood City Forge Company, Ellwood Quality Steels Company, and Ellwood National Steel Company, Ellwood City, PA; A. Finkl & Sons, Chicago, IL; and FEB Fair Trade Coalition, Cleveland, OH.
3. USITC Institution Date: Thursday, December 19, 2019.
4. USITC Hearing Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2020.
5. USITC Vote Date: Wednesday, January 6, 2021.
6. USITC Views to Commerce Date: Tuesday, January 19, 2021.
U.S. Industry in 2019:
1. Number of U.S. producers: 14.
2. Location of producers’ plants: Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Texas, Wisconsin.
3. Production and related workers: 277.
4. U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: 
5. Apparent U.S. consumption: 1
6. Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 1
U.S. Imports in 2019:
1. Subject imports: $189.0 million.
2. Nonsubject imports: 1
3. Leading import sources: China, Germany, India, and Italy.
 Withheld to avoid disclosure of business proprietary information.