News Release 20-042
Inv. No(s). 701-TA-644 and 731-TA-1494 (Preliminary)
Contact: Peg O'Laughlin, 202-205-1819
The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that there is a reasonable indication that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of non-refillable steel cylinders from China that are allegedly subsidized and sold in the United States at less than fair value.
Chairman David S. Johanson and Commissioners Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, Jason E. Kearns, Randolph J. Stayin, and Amy A. Karpel voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, the U.S. Department of Commerce will continue with its antidumping and countervailing duty investigations concerning imports of this product from China, with its preliminary countervailing duty determination due on or about June 22, 2020, and its antidumping duty determination due on or about September 3, 2020.
The Commission’s public report Non-Refillable Steel Cylinders from China (Inv. Nos. 701-TA-644 and 731-TA-1494 (Preliminary), USITC Publication 5057, May 2020) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available after June 8, 2020; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: https://www.usitc.gov/commission_publications_library.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Non-Refillable Steel Cylinders from China
Investigation Nos. 701-TA-644 and 731-TA-1494 (Preliminary)
Product Description: The non-refillable steel cylinders covered by these investigations are produced to meet the requirements of U.S. Department of Transportation Specification 39, TransportCanada Specification 39M, or United Nations pressure receptacle standard ISO 11118. The subject non-refillable steel cylinders are portable and range from 300-cubic inch (4.9 liter) water capacity to 1,526-cubic inch (25 liter) water capacity. The subject non-refillable steel cylinders may be imported with or without a valve and/or pressure-release device and are unfilled at the time of importation. Specifically excluded are seamless non-refillable steel cylinders.
Status of Proceedings:
1. Type of investigations: Preliminary antidumping and countervailing duty investigations.
2. Petitioner: Worthington Industries, Columbus, OH.
3. USITC Institution Date: Friday, March 27, 2020.
4. USITC Conference Date: Friday, April 15, 2020 – Wednesday April 22, 2020 (conducted through written statements, testimony, and questions and responses).
5. USITC Vote Date: Friday, May 8, 2020.
6. USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Monday, May 11, 2020.
U.S. Industry in 2019:
1. Number of U.S. producers: One.
2. Location of producers’ plants: Kentucky and Ohio.
3. Production and related workers: 
4. U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: 1
5. Apparent U.S. consumption: 1
6. Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: percent. 1
U.S. Imports in 2019:
1. Subject imports: 1
2. Nonsubject imports: 1
3. Leading import sources: China.
 Withheld to avoid revealing business proprietary information.