News Release 20-024
Inv. No(s). 701-TA-618-619 and 731-TA-1441-1442 (Final)
Contact: Peg O'Laughlin, 202-205-1819
The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of carbon and alloy steel threaded rod from China and India that the U.S. Department of Commerce (Commerce) has determined are subsidized and sold in the United States at less than fair value.
Chairman David S. Johanson and Commissioners Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, Jason E. Kearns, Randolph J. Stayin, and Amy A. Karpel voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, Commerce will issue antidumping and countervailing duty orders on imports of carbon and alloy steel threaded rod from China and India.
The Commission’s public report Carbon and Alloy Steel Threaded Rod from China and India (Inv. Nos. 701-TA-618-619 and 731-TA-1441-1442 (Final), USITC Publication 5040, April 2020) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available by April 24, 2020; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: http://pubapps.usitc.gov/applications/publogs/qry_publication_loglist.asp.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Carbon and Alloy Steel Threaded Rod from China and India
Investigation Nos. 701-TA-618-619 and 731-TA-1441-1442 (Final)
Product Description: Threaded rod is generally threaded along its entire length and is produced from low carbon, medium carbon, or alloy steel wire rod or bar. It is used primarily in commercial (non-residential) construction to suspend electrical conduits; pipes for plumbing; heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning (HVAC) ductwork; and sprinkler systems for fire protection, among other applications. Threaded rod can also be used as a headless screw in general fastener applications or for bolting together pipe joints.
Status of Proceedings:
1. Type of investigation: Final phase antidumping and countervailing duty investigations.
2. Petitioner: Vulcan Threaded Products, Inc., Pelham, AL.
3. USITC Institution Date: Thursday, February 21, 2019.
4. USITC Hearing Date: Tuesday, October 15, 2019.
5. USITC Vote Date: Friday, March 19, 2020.
6. USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Friday, April 3, 2020.
U.S. Industry in 2018:
1. Number of U.S. producers: 10.
2. Location of producers’ plants: Alabama, California, Colorado, Indiana, Louisiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Texas.
3. Production and related workers: 330.
4. U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: $122.6 million.
5. Apparent U.S. consumption: $443.9 million.
6. Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 48.8 percent.
U.S. Imports in 2018:
1. Subject imports: $216.5 million.
2. Nonsubject imports: $104.7 million.
3. Leading import sources: China, India, Taiwan, and Thailand.