The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of sodium gluconate, gluconic acid, and derivative products from China that the U.S. Department of Commerce (Commerce) has determined are subsidized and sold in the United States at less than fair value.
Chairman David S. Johanson and Commissioners Irving A. Williamson, Meredith M. Broadbent, Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, and Jason E. Kearns voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the USITC’s affirmative determinations, Commerce will issue antidumping and countervailing duty orders on imports of this product from China.
The Commission’s public report Sodium Gluconate, Gluconic Acid, and Derivative Products from China (Inv. Nos. 701-TA-590 and 731-TA-1397 (Final), USITC Publication 4834, October 2018) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available by November 9, 2018; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: http://pubapps.usitc.gov/applications/publogs/qry_publication_loglist.asp.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Sodium Gluconate, Gluconic Acid, and Derivative Products from China
Investigation Nos. 701-TA-590 and 731-TA-1397 (Final)
Product Description: Sodium gluconate ("GNA"), gluconic acid ("GA"), and derivative products are primarily produced from corn-based liquid glucose. The products covered in these investigations include GA, GNA, glucono-delta-lactone ("GDL"), liquid gluconate ("LG"), and blends containing 35 percent or more of GNA, GA, LG, and/or GDL by dry weight. GNA and GDL are sold as white powders while GA and LG are sold in liquid form. GNA products have uses in a multitude of industries including concrete and admixtures, food industry, personal care and household products, and in agriculture.
Status of Proceedings:
1. Type of investigation: Final phase antidumping duty and countervailing duty investigations.
2. Petitioners: PMP Fermentation Products, Inc., Peoria, Illinois.
3. USITC Institution Date: Thursday, November 30, 2017.
4. USITC Hearing Date: Tuesday, September 18, 2018.
5. USITC Vote Date: Tuesday, October 16, 2018.
6. USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Tuesday, October 30, 2018.
U.S. Industry in 2017:
1. Number of U.S. producers: 1.
2. Location of producers’ plants: Illinois.
3. Production and related workers: 
4. U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: 1
5. Apparent U.S. consumption: 1
6. Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 1
U.S. Imports in 2017:
1. Subject imports: 1
2. Nonsubject imports: 1
3. Leading import sources: China, France, Italy.
 Withheld to avoid disclosure of business proprietary information.