The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that there is a reasonable indication that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of laminated woven sacks from Vietnam that are allegedly subsidized and sold in the United States at less than fair value.
Chairman Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, Vice Chairman David S. Johanson, and Commissioners Irving A. Williamson, Meredith M. Broadbent, and Jason E. Kearns voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, the U.S. Department of Commerce will continue with its antidumping and countervailing duty investigations concerning imports of this product from Vietnam, with its preliminary countervailing duty determination due on or about May 31, 2018, and its preliminary antidumping duty determination due on or about August 14, 2018.
The Commission’s public report Laminated Woven Sacks from Vietnam (Inv. Nos. 701-TA-601 and 731-TA-1411 (Preliminary), USITC Publication 4779, April 2018) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available after May 21, 2018; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: http://pubapps.usitc.gov/applications/publogs/qry_publication_loglist.asp.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Laminated Woven Sacks from Vietnam
Investigation Nos. 701-TA-601 and 731-TA-1411 (Preliminary)
Product Description: Laminated woven sacks are bags consisting of one or more plies of fabric of woven polypropylene strip and/or polyethylene strip that are laminated or bonded to an exterior ply of plastic film such as biaxially oriented polypropylene, polyester, polyethylene, nylon, or any film suitable for printing, or to an exterior ply of paper. Laminated woven sacks are sold and used primarily as packaging for retail products such as pet food, animal feed, bird seed, rice, and other dry or semi-dry food items.
Status of Proceedings:
1. Type of investigation: Preliminary phase antidumping duty and countervailing duty investigations.
2. Petitioners: Laminated Woven Sacks Fair Trade Coalition (Polytex Fibers Corporation, Houston, TX; ProAmpac, LLC, Cincinnati, OH).
3. USITC Institution Date: Wednesday, March 7, 2018.
4. USITC Conference Date: Wednesday, March 28, 2018.
5. USITC Vote Date: Friday, April 20, 2018.
6. USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Monday, April 23, 2018.
U.S. Industry in 2017:
1. Number of U.S. producers: 9.
2. Location of producers’ plants: Alabama, Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Wisconsin.
3. Production and related workers: 813.
4. U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: $172.5 million.
5. Apparent U.S. consumption: $320.8 million.
6. Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 29.4 percent.
U.S. Imports in 2017:
1. Subject imports: $94.2 million.
2. Nonsubject imports: $54.1 million.
3. Leading import sources: Vietnam, Honduras, India, Korea, and Thailand.