The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that there is a reasonable indication that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of cast iron soil pipe from China that are allegedly subsidized and sold in the United States at less than fair value.
Chairman Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, Vice Chairman David S. Johanson, and Commissioners Irving A. Williamson and Meredith M. Broadbent voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, the U.S. Department of Commerce will continue with its antidumping and countervailing duty investigations, with its preliminary countervailing duty determinations due on or about April 23, 2018, and its antidumping duty determinations due on or about July 5, 2018.
The Commission’s public report Cast Iron Soil Pipe from China (Inv. Nos. 701-TA-597 and 731-TA-1407 (Preliminary), USITC Publication 4769, March 2018) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available after April 9, 2018; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: http://pubapps.usitc.gov/applications/publogs/qry_publication_loglist.asp.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Cast Iron Soil Pipe from the China
Investigation Nos. 701-TA-597 and 731-TA-1407 (Preliminary)
Product Description: The merchandise covered by this proceeding is cast iron soil pipe, whether finished or unfinished, regardless of industry or proprietary specifications, and regardless of wall thickness, length, diameter, surface finish, end finish, or stenciling. The scope of this investigation includes, but is not limited to, both hubless and hub and spigot cast iron soil pipe. Cast iron soil pipe is nonmalleable iron pipe of various designs and sizes. Cast iron soil pipe is generally distinguished from other types of nonmalleable cast iron pipe by the manner in which it is connected to cast iron soil pipe fittings.
Status of Proceedings:
1. Type of investigation: Preliminary phase antidumping duty and countervailing duty investigations.
2. Petitioners: Cast Iron Soil Pipe Institute, Mundelein, IL.
3. USITC Institution Date: Friday, January 26, 2018.
4. USITC Conference Date: Friday, February 16, 2018.
5. USITC Vote Date: Friday, March 9, 2018.
6. USITC Scheduled Notification to Commerce Date: Tuesday, March 13, 2018.
U.S. Industry in 2017:
1. Number of U.S. producers: 2.
2. Location of producers’ plants: California, North Carolina, and Texas.
3. Production and related workers: 
4. U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: 1
5. Apparent U.S. consumption: 1
6. Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 1
U.S. Imports in 2017:
1. Subject imports: $13.1 million.
2. Nonsubject imports: $757,000.
3. Leading import sources: China
 Withheld to avoid disclosure of business proprietary information.