The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that there is a reasonable indication that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of certain uncoated groundwood paper from Canada that are allegedly subsidized and sold in the United States at less than fair value.
Chairman Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, Vice Chairman David S. Johanson, and Commissioners Irving A. Williamson and Meredith M. Broadbent voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, the U.S. Department of Commerce will continue to conduct its antidumping and countervailing duty investigations on imports of this product from Canada, with its preliminary countervailing duty determination due on or about November 2, 2017, and its preliminary antidumping duty determination due on or about January 16, 2018.
The Commission’s public report Certain Uncoated Groundwood Paper from Canada (Inv. Nos. 701-TA-584 and 731-TA-1382 (Preliminary), USITC Publication 4732, October 2017) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available after October 23, 2017; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: http://pubapps.usitc.gov/applications/publogs/qry_publication_loglist.asp.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Uncoated Groundwood Paper from Canada
Investigation Nos: 701-TA-584 and 731-TA-1382 (Preliminary)
Product Description: Uncoated groundwood paper includes certain paper that has not been coated on either side and with 50 percent or more of the cellulose fiber content consisting of groundwood pulp, including groundwood pulp made from recycled paper, weighing not more than 90 grams per square meter. Groundwood pulp includes all forms of pulp produced from a mechanical pulping process, such as thermo-mechanical process, chemi-thermo mechanical process, bleached chemi-thermo mechanical process or any other mechanical pulping process. Uncoated groundwood paper includes but is not limited to standard newsprint, high bright newsprint, book publishing, directory, and printing and writing papers. Uncoated groundwood paper may be white, off-white, cream, or colored.
Status of Proceedings:
1. Type of investigation: Preliminary phase antidumping duty and countervailing duty investigations.
2. Petitioners: North Pacific Paper Company, Longview, WA.
3. USITC Institution Date: Wednesday, August 09, 2017.
4. USITC Conference Date: Wednesday, August 30, 2017.
5. USITC Vote Date: Friday, September 22, 2017.
6. USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Monday, September 25, 2017.
U.S. Industry in 2016:
1. Number of U.S. producers: 5
2. Location of producers’ plants: Georgia, Mississippi, Tennessee, Virginia, and Washington.
3. Production and related workers: 
4. U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: 1
5. Apparent U.S. consumption: 1
6. Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 1
U.S. Imports in 2016:
1. Subject imports: 1
2. Nonsubject imports: 1
3. Leading import sources: Canada, Sweden, Norway, Finland, and Germany.
 Withheld to avoid disclosure of business proprietary information.
# # #