News Release 23-016
Inv. No(s). 701-TA-684 and 731-TA-1597-1598
Contact: Elizabeth Nesbitt, 202-205-1819
The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that there is a reasonable indication that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of gas powered pressure washers from China and Vietnam that are allegedly sold in the United States at less than fair value and subsidized by the government of China.
Chairman David S. Johanson and Commissioners Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, Jason E. Kearns, Randolph J. Stayin, and Amy A. Karpel voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, the U.S. Department of Commerce will continue its investigations of imports of gas powered pressure washers from China and Vietnam, with its preliminary countervailing duty determination due on or about March 27, 2023, and its preliminary antidumping duty determinations due on or about June 8, 2023.
The Commission’s public report Gas Powered Pressure Washers from China and Vietnam (Inv. Nos. 701-TA-684 and 731-TA-1597-1598 (Preliminary), USITC Publication 5409, February 2023) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available by March 21, 2023; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: https://www.usitc.gov/commission_publications_library.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Gas Powered Pressure Washers from China and Vietnam
Investigation Nos: 701-TA-684 and 731-TA-1597-1598 (Preliminary)
Product Description: The product covered by these investigations is cold-water gas powered pressure washers ("GPPW"). These machines have three main components: an internal combustion engine, a power take-off shaft, and a positive displacement pump (collectively, the "power unit"). GPPW include both finished and unfinished GPPW, which include, at a minimum, the power unit, or components of the components of the power unit, packaged or imported together. Additional components, including, but not limited to, spray guns, nozzles, and hoses, may accompany the power unit. GPPW are machines that use a pressurized stream of water to clean off dirt, grime, and mud from surfaces such as decks, driveways, siding, and cars.
Status of Proceedings:
- Type of investigation: Preliminary countervailing and antidumping duty investigations.
- Petitioners: FNA Group, Inc., Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin.
- USITC Institution Date: Friday, December 30, 2022.
- USITC Conference Date: Friday, January 20, 2023.
- USITC Vote Date: Friday, February 10, 2023.
- USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Monday, February 13, 2023.
U.S. Industry in 2021:
- Number of U.S. producers: 2.
- Location of producers’ plants: Arkansas, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Wisconsin
- Production and related workers: 1
- U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: 1
- Apparent U.S. consumption: 1
- Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 1
U.S. Imports in 2021:
- Subject imports: 1
- Nonsubject imports: 1
- Leading import sources: China, Vietnam.
1 Withheld to avoid disclosure of business proprietary information.