News Release 23-012
Inv. No(s). 701-TA-678
Contact: Elizabeth Nesbitt, 202-205-1819
The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of barium chloride from India that the U.S. Department of Commerce (Commerce) has determined are subsidized by the government of India.
Chairman David S. Johanson and Commissioners Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, Jason E. Kearns, Randolph J. Stayin, and Amy A. Karpel voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determination, Commerce will issue a countervailing duty order on imports of this product from India.
The Commission’s public report Barium Chloride from India; Inv. No. 701-TA-678 (Final), USITC Publication 5406, February 2023) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigation.
The report will be available by March 13, 2023; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: http://pubapps.usitc.gov/applications/publogs/qry_publication_loglist.asp.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Barium Chloride from India
Investigation No. 701-TA-678 (Final)
Product Description: Barium chloride is a solid chemical compound having the formula BaCl2-2H2O (if in crystalline, or dihydrate, form) or BaCl2 (if in powdered, or anhydrous, form). The bulk of barium chloride is sold as barium chloride dihydrate, which is used primarily as an intermediate in the production of molecular catalyst sieves that are used by oil refinery complexes to separate out industrially useful paraxylene molecules. The anhydrous form of barium chloride is used primarily as an ingredient in heat-treating salts and metal fluxes/molten baths used to harden metal parts, usually small specialty steel parts such as tools and dies.
Status of Proceeding:
- Type of investigation: Final countervailing duty.
- Petitioner: Chemical Products Corp., Cartersville, Georgia.
- USITC Institution Date: January 12, 2022.
- USITC Hearing Date: January 5, 2023.
- USITC Vote Date: February 2, 2023.
- USITC Notification to Commerce Date: February 17, 2023.
U.S. Industry in 2021:
- Number of U.S. producers: 1.
- Location of producer’s plants: Georgia.
- Production and related workers: 1
- U.S. producer’s U.S. shipments: 1
- Apparent U.S. consumption: 1
- Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 1
U.S. Imports in 2021:
- Subject imports: 1
- Nonsubject imports: 1
- Leading import source: India.
1 Withheld to avoid disclosure of business proprietary information.