The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of walk-behind snow throwers from China that the U.S. Department of Commerce (Commerce) has determined are subsidized and sold in the United States at less than fair value.
Chair Jason E. Kearns, Vice Chair Randolph J. Stayin, and Commissioners David S. Johanson, Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, and Amy A. Karpel voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, Commerce will issue antidumping duty orders and countervailing duty orders on imports of this product from China.
The Commission’s public report Walk-Behind Snow Throwers from China (Inv. Nos. 701-TA-666 and 731-TA-1558 (Final), USITC Publication 5322, May 2022) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available by May 26, 2022; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: http://pubapps.usitc.gov/applications/publogs/qry_publication_loglist.asp.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Walk-Behind Snow Throwers from China
Investigation Nos. 701-TA-666 and 731-TA-1558 (Final)
Snow throwers are generally used to clear snow, primarily in residential and smaller commercial settings. They are intended for consumer household use but may also be used by professional landscapers and snow removal companies. Snow throwers (also referred to as “snow blowers”) are rotary-powered snow throwing machines that can be either self-propelled or non-self-propelled (pushed). Snow throwers as defined in Commerce’s scope are controlled by an operator walking behind the snow thrower, typically have a clearing width of 12 to 60 inches, and include finished and unfinished gas-powered snow throwers, which are generally considered more powerful and faster than electric or battery-powered snow throwers.
Status of Proceedings:
- Type of investigation: Final countervailing duty and antidumping duty investigations.
- Petitioners: MTD Products Inc. (“MTD”), Valley City, Ohio.
- USITC Institution Date: Tuesday, March 30, 2021.
- USITC Hearing Date: Wednesday, March 23, 2022.
- USITC Vote Date: Friday, April 22, 2022.
- USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Wednesday, May 5, 2022.
U.S. Industry in 2020:
- Number of U.S. producers: 6.
- Location of producers’ plants: Ohio, Minnesota, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Wisconsin
- Production and related workers: 1,439.
- U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: 311,380.
- Apparent U.S. consumption: 
- Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 1
U.S. Imports in 2020:
- Subject imports: 1
- Nonsubject imports: 1
- Leading import sources: China and Mexico.
 Withheld to avoid disclosure of business proprietary information.