February 11, 2022
News Release 22-020
Inv. No. 731-TA-1578-1579
Contact: Jennifer Andberg, 202-205-1819
USITC Votes to Continue Investigations on Lemon Juice from Brazil and South Africa
The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that there is a reasonable indication that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of lemon juice from Brazil and South Africa that are allegedly sold in the United States at less than fair value.
Chair Jason E. Kearns, Vice Chair Randolph J. Stayin, and Commissioners David S. Johanson, Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, and Amy A. Karpel voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, the U.S. Department of Commerce will continue its investigations of imports of lemon juice from Brazil and South Africa, with its preliminary antidumping duty determinations due on or about June 8, 2022.
The Commission’s public report Lemon Juice from Brazil and South Africa (Inv. Nos. 731-TA-1578-1579 (Preliminary), USITC Publication 5284, February 2022) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available after March 15, 2022; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: https://www.usitc.gov/commission_publications_library.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Lemon Juice from Brazil and South Africa
Investigation Nos. 731-TA-1578-1579 (Preliminary)
Product Description: Lemon juice covered by these investigations includes lemon juice in all forms including not from concentrate lemon juice (NFCLJ) and concentrated lemon juice (CLJ). Lemon juice packed in retail-sized containers (up to 128 ounces) or beverages containing 20 percent or less lemon juice are not covered by these investigations. Lemon juice is typically extracted from fresh lemons that are not suitable for the fresh markets but may also be produced from fresh lemons diverted from fresh markets when the quantity available exceeds fresh market demand. Lemon juice is primarily used as an ingredient in beverages, particularly lemonade, as well as other food ingredient applications. Other uses include retail packaging for in-home ingredient use and non-food products such as household cleaners.
Status of Proceedings:
- Type of investigation: Preliminary antidumping duty investigations.
- Petitioners: Ventura Coastal LLC, Ventura, California
- USITC Institution Date: Thursday, December 30, 2021.
- USITC Conference Date: Thursday, January 20, 2022.
- USITC Vote Date: Friday, February 11, 2022.
- USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Monday, February 14, 2022.
U.S. Industry in 2020:
- Number of U.S. producers: 2.
- Location of producers’ plants: Arizona, California, and Florida
- Production and related workers: 
- U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: 1
- Apparent U.S. consumption: 1
- Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 1
U.S. Imports in 2020:
- Subject imports: $24 million.
- Nonsubject imports: $135 million.
- Leading import sources: Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, and South Africa.
 Withheld to avoid disclosure of business proprietary information.
# # #