The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of aluminum foil from Armenia, Brazil, Oman, Russia, and Turkey that the U.S. Department of Commerce (Commerce) has determined are sold in the United States at less than fair value and subsidized by the governments of Oman and Turkey.
Chair Jason E. Kearns, Vice Chair Randolph J. Stayin, and Commissioners David S. Johanson, Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, and Amy A. Karpel voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, Commerce will issue countervailing duty orders on imports of this product from Oman and Turkey and antidumping duty orders on imports of this product from Armenia, Brazil, Oman, Russia, and Turkey.
The Commission’s public report Aluminum Foil from Armenia, Brazil, Oman, Russia, and Turkey (Inv. Nos. 701-TA-658-659 and 731-TA-1538-1542 (Final), USITC Publication 5235, November 2021) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available by November 26, 2021; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: http://pubapps.usitc.gov/applications/publogs/qry_publication_loglist.asp.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Aluminum Foil from Armenia, Brazil, Oman, Russia, and Turkey
Investigation Nos. 701-TA-658-659 and 731-TA-1538-1542 (Final)
Product Description: Aluminum foil having a thickness of 0.2 mm or less, in reels exceeding 25 pounds, regardless of width. Aluminum foil is made from an aluminum alloy that contains more than 92 percent aluminum. Aluminum foil may be made to ASTM specification ASTM B479, but can also be made to other specifications. Regardless of specification, however, all aluminum foil meeting the scope description is included in the scope, including aluminum foil to which lubricant has been applied to one or both sides of the foil.
Status of Proceedings:
1. Type of investigation: Final countervailing duty and antidumping duty investigations.
2. Petitioners: Gränges Americas Inc., Franklin, TN; JW Aluminum Company, Daniel Island, SC; and Novelis Corporation, Atlanta, GA.
3. USITC Institution Date: Tuesday, September 29, 2020.
4. USITC Hearing Date: Tuesday, September 14, 2021.
5. USITC Vote Date: Tuesday, October 19, 2021.
6. USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Friday, November 5, 2021.
U.S. Industry in 2020:
1. Number of U.S. producers: 7.
2. Location of producers’ plants: Arkansas, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia.
3. Production and related workers: 1,368.
4. U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: $1 billion.
5. Apparent U.S. consumption: $2 billion.
6. Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 13.8 percent by value.
U.S. Shipments of Imports in 2020:
1. Subject sources: $239 million.
2. Nonsubject sources: $262 million.
3. Leading nonsubject import sources: Korea, Germany, China.