News Release 21-065
Inv. No(s). 701-TA-666 and 731-TA-1558 (Preliminary)
Contact: Peg O'Laughlin, 202-205-1819
The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that there is a reasonable indication that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of walk-behind snow throwers from China that are allegedly subsidized and sold in the United States at less than fair value.
Chair Jason E. Kearns, Vice Chair Randolph J. Stayin, and Commissioners David S. Johanson, Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, and Amy A. Karpel voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, the U.S. Department of Commerce will continue its investigations of imports of walk-behind snow blowers from China, with its preliminary countervailing duty determination due on or about June 23, 2021, and its preliminary antidumping duty determination due on or about September 6, 2021.
The Commission’s public report Walk-Behind Snow Throwers from China (Inv. Nos. 701-TA-666 and 731-TA-1558 (Preliminary), USITC Publication 5197, May 2021) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available after June 11, 2021; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: https://www.usitc.gov/commission_publications_library.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Walk-Behind Snow Throwers from China
Investigation Nos. 701-TA-666 and 731-TA-1558 (Preliminary)
Product Description: Gas-powered, walk-behind snow throwers (also known as snow blowers) are snow moving machines that are powered by internal combustion engines and primarily pedestrian-controlled. This description includes snow throwers whether self-propelled or non-self-propelled, whether finished or unfinished, whether assembled or unassembled, and whether containing any additional features that provide for functions in addition to snow throwing. Walk-behind snow throwers’ internal combustion engines are typically spark ignition, single or multiple cylinders, and air-cooled with power take off shafts.
Status of Proceedings:
1. Type of investigations: Preliminary countervailing duty and antidumping duty investigations.
2. Petitioner: MTD Products Inc. ("MTD"), Valley City, OH.
3. USITC Institution Date: Tuesday, March 30, 2021.
4. USITC Conference Date: Tuesday, April 20, 2021.
5. USITC Vote Date: Thursday, May 13, 2021.
6. USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Friday, May 14, 2021.
U.S. Industry in 2020:
1. Number of U.S. producers: 6.
2. Location of producers’ plants: Ohio, Minnesota, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Wisconsin.
3. Production and related workers: 
4. U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: 1
5. Apparent U.S. consumption: 1
6. Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 1
U.S. Imports in 2020:
1. Subject imports: 1
2. Nonsubject imports: 1
3. Leading import sources: China and Mexico.
 Withheld to avoid disclosure of business proprietary information.