News Release 20-084
Inv. No(s). 701-TA-650-651
Contact: Peg O'Laughlin, 202-205-1819
The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that there is a reasonable indication that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of phosphate fertilizers that are allegedly subsidized by the governments of Morocco and Russia.
Chair Jason E. Kearns, Vice Chair Randolph J. Stayin, and Commissioners David S. Johanson, Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, and Amy A. Karpel voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, the U.S. Department of Commerce will continue with its countervailing duty investigations concerning imports of these products from Morocco and Russia, with its preliminary determinations due on or about September 21, 2020.
The Commission’s public report Phosphate Fertilizers from Morocco and Russia (Inv. Nos. 701-TA-650-651 (Preliminary), USITC Publication 5105, August 2020) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available after September 8, 2020; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: https://www.usitc.gov/commission_publications_library.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Phosphate Fertilizers from Morocco and Russia
Investigation Nos. 701-TA-650-651 (Preliminary)
Product Description: Phosphate fertilizers contain essential phosphorus (P) plant nutrient applied annually to some 300 million acres of U.S. cropland. The product is sourced from phosphate ores mined and chemically upgraded to plant available granular phosphate fertilizer compounds or compacted forms, each combined with the other essential plant nutrients, nitrogen (N) and potassium (K). Diammonium phosphate (DAP), and monoammonium phosphate (MAP) are popular high analysis NP granular multinutrient phosphate fertilizers containing 11 to 18 percent N, and 46 to 52 percent plant available phosphate (P2O5), each used for direct application or in NPK bulk blends. Value-added NP specialty products contain sulfur (S) soil amendments (NPS), and NPS-Zinc with micro or secondary nutrients. Other products having more limited use include single nutrient triple superphosphate (TSP), and single superphosphate (SSP), as well as nitrophosphate products. Excluded are liquid ammonium polyphosphate fertilizers, liquid phosphoric acid intermediate product, and non-fertilizer phosphates.
Status of Proceedings:
1. Type of investigation: Preliminary countervailing duty investigation.
2. Petitioner: The Mosaic Company, Plymouth, MN.
3. USITC Institution Date: Friday, June 26, 2020.
4. USITC Conference Date: Friday, July 17, 2020.
5. USITC Vote Date: Friday, August 7, 2020.
6. USITC Views to Commerce: Monday, August 17, 2020.
U.S. Industry in 2019:
1. Number of U.S. producers: 5.
2. Location of producers’ plants: Florida, Idaho, Louisiana, Minnesota, North Carolina, and Wyoming.
3. Production and related workers: 
4. U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: 1
5. Apparent U.S. consumption: 1
6. Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 1
U.S. Imports in 2019:
1. Subject imports: $1,066 million.
2. Nonsubject imports: $355 million.
3. Leading import sources: Morocco, Russia, and Saudi Arabia.
 Withheld to avoid disclosure of business proprietary information.