News Release 20-022
Inv. No(s). 731-TA-1435-1436 and 1439 (Final)
Contact: Peg O'Laughlin, 202-205-1819
The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of acetone from Belgium, Korea, and South Africa that the U.S. Department of Commerce (Commerce) has determined are sold in the United States at less than fair value.
Chairman David S. Johanson and Commissioners Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, Jason E. Kearns, Randolph J. Stayin, and Amy A. Karpel voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, Commerce will issue antidumping duty orders on imports of this product from Belgium, Korea, and South Africa.
The Commission’s public report Acetone from Belgium, Korea, and South Africa (Inv. Nos. 731-TA-1435-1436 and 1439 (Final), USITC Publication 5038, March 2020) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available by April 20, 2020; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: http://pubapps.usitc.gov/applications/publogs/qry_publication_loglist.asp.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Acetone from Belgium, Korea, and South Africa
Investigation Nos. 731-TA-1435-1436, 1439 (Final)
Product Description: Acetone, also known as dimethyl ketone, propan-2-one, or 2-propanone, among other names, is an organic chemical with the formula (CH3)2CO. The Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) registry number for acetone is 67–64–1. Commercial production of acetone uses traditional chemical synthesis. Available in various grades, acetone is used both as a chemical intermediate in the production of other chemicals (e.g., plastics and pharmaceuticals) and as a solvent. Acetone is a clear colorless liquid with a sweet odor.
Status of Proceedings:
1. Type of investigations: Final phase antidumping duty.
2. Petitioners: AdvanSix Inc., Parsippany, NJ; Altivia Petrochemicals, LLC, Haverhill, OH; and Olin Corporation, Clayton, MO.
3. USITC Institution Date: Tuesday, February 19, 2019.
4. USITC Hearing Date: Monday, October 21, 2019.
5. USITC Vote Date: Tuesday, March 17, 2020.
6. USITC Notification to Commerce Date: March 30, 2020.
U.S. Industry in 2018:
1. Number of U.S. producers: 8.
2. Location of producers’ plants: Alabama, Indiana, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and West Virginia.
3. Production and related workers: 608.
4. U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: $1.0 billion.
5. Apparent U.S. consumption: $1.2 billion.
6. Ratio of subject imports to apparent consumption from Belgium, Korea, and South Africa (percent): 12.4.
U.S. Imports in 2018:
1. U.S. imports from Belgium, Korea, and South Africa: $148.7 million.
2. U.S. imports from Singapore and Spain: $28.2 million.
3. U.S. imports from all other sources: $11.1 million.
4. Leading import sources: Belgium, Korea, Singapore, South Africa, and Spain.