he United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of carbon and alloy steel threaded rod from Thailand that the U.S. Department of Commerce (Commerce) has determined are sold in the United States at less than fair value.
Chairman David S. Johanson and Commissioners Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, Jason E. Kearns, Randolph J. Stayin, and Amy A. Karpel voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the USITC’s affirmative determination, Commerce will issue an antidumping duty order on imports of this product from Thailand.
The Commission also made a negative finding concerning critical circumstances with regard to imports of this product from Thailand. As a result, imports of carbon and alloy steel threaded rod from Thailand will not be subject to retroactive antidumping duties.
The Commission’s public report Carbon and Alloy Steel Threaded Rod from Thailand (Inv. No. 731-TA-1440 (Final), USITC Publication 4998, December 2019) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigation.
The report will be available by December 26, 2019; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: http://pubapps.usitc.gov/applications/publogs/qry_publication_loglist.asp.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Carbon and Alloy Steel Threaded Rod from Thailand
Investigation No. 731-TA-1444 (Final)
Product Description: Threaded rod is generally threaded along its entire length and is produced from low carbon, medium carbon, or alloy steel wire rod or bar. It is used primarily in commercial (non-residential) construction to suspend electrical conduits; pipes for plumbing; heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning (HVAC) ductwork; and sprinkler systems for fire protection, among other applications. Threaded rod can also be used as a headless screw in general fastener applications or for bolting together pipe joints.
Status of Proceedings:
- Type of investigation: Final phase antidumping duty investigation.
- Petitioner: Vulcan Threaded Products, Inc., Pelham, Alabama.
- USITC Institution Date: Thursday, February 21, 2019.
- USITC Hearing Date: Tuesday, October 15, 2019.
- USITC Vote Date: Friday, November 15, 2019.
- USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Thursday, December 5, 2019.
U.S. Industry in 2018:
- Number of U.S. producers: 10.
- Location of producers’ plants: Alabama, California, Colorado, Indiana, Louisiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Texas.
- Production and related workers: 330.
- U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: $122.6 million.
- Apparent U.S. consumption: $443.9 million.
- Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 48.8 percent.
U.S. Imports in 2018:
- Subject imports: $216.5 million.
- Nonsubject imports: $104.7 million.
- Leading import sources: China, India, Taiwan, and Thailand.