News Release 19-014
Inv. No(s). 701-TA-597 and 731-TA-1407 (Final)
Contact: Peg O'Laughlin, 202-205-1819
The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of cast iron soil pipe from China that the U.S. Department of Commerce (Commerce) has determined are subsidized and sold in the United States at less than fair value.
Chairman David S. Johanson and Commissioners Irving A. Williamson, Meredith M. Broadbent, Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, and Jason E. Kearns voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the USITC’s affirmative determinations, Commerce will issue antidumping and countervailing duty orders on imports of this product from China.
The Commission’s public report Cast Iron Soil Pipe from China (Inv. Nos. 701-TA-597 and 731-TA-1407 (Final), USITC Publication 4879, April 2019) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available by April 24, 2019; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: http://pubapps.usitc.gov/applications/publogs/qry_publication_loglist.asp.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Cast Iron Soil Pipe from the China
Investigation Nos. 701-TA-597 and 731-TA-1407 (Final)
Product Description: The merchandise covered by these proceedings is cast iron soil pipe, whether finished or unfinished, regardless of industry or proprietary specifications, and regardless of wall thickness, length, diameter, surface finish, end finish, or stenciling. The scope of these investigations includes, but is not limited to, both hubless and hub and spigot cast iron soil pipe. Cast iron soil pipe is non-malleable iron pipe of various designs and sizes. Cast iron soil pipe is generally distinguished from other types of non-malleable cast iron pipe by the manner in which it is connected to cast iron soil pipe fittings.
Status of Proceedings:
1. Type of investigation: Final phase antidumping duty and countervailing duty investigations.
2. Petitioners: Cast Iron Soil Pipe Institute, Mundelein, IL.
3. USITC Institution Date: Friday, January 26, 2018.
4. USITC Hearing Date: Tuesday, February 12, 2019.
5. USITC Vote Date: Wednesday, March 20, 2019.
6. USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Wednesday, April 3, 2019.
U.S. Industry in 2017:
1. Number of U.S. producers: 2.
2. Location of producers’ plants: California, North Carolina, and Texas.
3. Production and related workers: 
4. U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: 1
5. Apparent U.S. consumption: 1
6. Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 1
U.S. Imports in 2017:
1. Subject imports: $13.2 million.
2. Nonsubject imports: $757,000.
3. Leading import source: China.
 Withheld to avoid disclosure of business proprietary information.