The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of 1-hydroxyethylidene-1, 1-diphosphonic acid (HEDP) from China that the U.S. Department of Commerce (Commerce) has determined are subsidized and sold in the United States at less than fair value.
Chairman Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, Vice Chairman David S. Johanson, and Commissioners Irving A. Williamson, Meredith M. Broadbent, and F. Scott Kieff voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the USITC’s affirmative determinations, Commerce will issue antidumping and countervailing duty orders on imports of this product from China.
The Commission’s public report 1-Hydroxyethylidene-1, 1-Diphosphonic Acid (HEDP) from China (Investigation Nos. 701-TA-558 and 731-TA-1316 (Final), USITC Publication 4686, May 2017) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigation.
The report will be available by May 29, 2017; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: http://pubapps.usitc.gov/applications/publogs/qry_publication_loglist.asp.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
1-Hydroxyethylidene-1, 1-Diphosphonic acid (“HEDP”) from China
Investigation Nos. 701-TA-558 and 731-TA-1316 (Final)
Product Description: HEDP is an odorless, colorless to yellowish acidic liquid organic phosphorus chemical compound used principally in industrial cooling water treatment where it is particularly effective in preventing harmful mineral scale buildup in cooling tower water and other process equipment. The product is sold largely in 60 percent aqueous industrial grade acidic solution, although the scope extends to all purity levels and concentrations of aqueous acidic (non-neutralized) HEDP. The aqueous product is stable across a wide range of temperatures, pH, and chlorine levels, and in addition to its major use in commercial cooling water systems, it also finds effective use in reverse osmosis desalination, sequestration (stabilization) of metal ions that color water and stain surfaces, and serves to also stabilize bar soap and antimicrobial agent formulations. HEDP is a reaction product of phosphorous acid and acetic anhydride, in which salable acetic acid byproduct is also produced, or may also be produced by reacting other phosphorus chemicals with concentrated glacial acetic acid.
Status of Proceedings:
1. Type of investigations: Final antidumping and countervailing duty.
2. Petitioner: Compass Chemical International, LLC, Smyrna, GA.
3. Investigations instituted by the USITC: March 31, 2016.
4. USITC hearing: March 23, 2017.
5. USITC vote: April 21, 2017.
6. USITC views to the U.S. Department of Commerce: May 8, 2017.
1. Number of producers in 2016: One.
2. Location of producer’s plant: Georgia.
3. Employment of production and related workers in 2016: 
4. Apparent U.S. consumption in 2016: 1
5. Ratio of the value of total U.S. imports to total U.S. consumption in 2016: 1
1. From the subject country during 2016: 1
2. From other countries during 2016: 1
3. Leading sources during 2016: 1
 Withheld to avoid disclosure of business proprietary information.
# # #