The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that there is a reasonable indication that a U.S. industry is threatened with material injury by reason of imports of 1-hydroxyethylidene-1, 1-disphosphonic acid (HEDP) from China that are allegedly subsidized and sold in the United States at less than fair value.
All six Commissioners voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, the U.S. Department of Commerce will continue to conduct its investigation on imports of this product from China, with its preliminary countervailing duty determination due on or about June 24, 2016, and its antidumping duty determination due on or about September 7, 2016.
The Commission’s public report 1-Hydroxyethylidene-1, 1-Disphosphonic Acid (HEDP) from China, Inv. Nos. 701-TA-558 and 731-TA-1316 (Preliminary), USITC Publication 4612, May 2016) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available after June 13, 2016. After that date, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: http://pubapps.usitc.gov/applications/publogs/qry_publication_loglist.asp.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
1-Hydroxyethylidene-1, 1-diphosphonic acid (“HEDP”) from China
Investigation Nos. 701-TA-558 and 731-TA-1316 (Preliminary)
Product Description: HEDP is an odorless, colorless to yellowish acidic liquid organic phosphorus chemical compound used principally in industrial water treatment applications where it is effective in increasing the solubility of metal mineral ions that otherwise would cause harmful scaling in process equipment. The product is sold largely in 60 percent aqueous industrial grade acidic solution, although the scope extends to all purity levels and aqueous concentrations of acidic (non-neutralized) HEDP. The product is stable across a wide range of temperatures, pH, and chlorine levels. In addition to its major use as an antiscalant in commercial cooling water systems, the product also finds effective use in reverse osmosis desalination, sequestration (stabilization) of metal ions that color water and stain surfaces, and serves to stabilize bar soap and antimicrobial agent formulations. HEDP is a reaction product of phosphorous acid and acetic anhydride, in which salable acetic acid byproduct is also produced: 2H3PO3 + (CH3CO)2O = C2H8O7P2 (HEDP) + CH3COOH (Acetic Acid).
Status of Proceedings:
1. Type of investigations: Preliminary antidumping and countervailing duty.
2. Petitioner: Compass Chemical International, LLC, Smyrna, GA.
3. Preliminary investigations instituted by the USITC: March 31, 2016.
4. Commission’s conference: April 21, 2016.
5. USITC vote: May 13, 2016.
6. USITC determinations to the U.S. Department of Commerce: May 16, 2016.
7. USITC views to the U.S. Department of Commerce: May 23, 2016.
1. Number of producers in 2015: One.
2. Location of producer’s plant: Georgia.
3. Employment of production and related workers in 2015: 
4. Apparent U.S. consumption in 2015: 1
5. Ratio of the value of total U.S. imports to total U.S. consumption in 2015: 1
1. From the subject country during 2015: 1
2. From other countries during 2015: 1
3. Leading sources during 2015: 1
 Withheld to avoid disclosure of business proprietary information.