The 2019 Basic HTS includes:
· changes proclaimed by the President on December 21, 2018, including (1) a one-year extension of certain agricultural commitments from the U.S.-Israel Free Trade Agreement, (2) technical corrections to three miscellaneous tariff bill provisions, (3) in certain U.S.-Korea Free Trade Agreement duty staging, and (4) in certain legal notes;
· particular product exclusions granted by the U.S. Trade Representative in a notice published on December 28, 2018, and applicable retroactively to July 6, 2018;
· changes in many statistical units of quantity needed for Customs enforcement of recent drawback legislation;
· staged reductions in preferential duty rates applicable under existing (already proclaimed) free trade agreements and effective as of January 1, 2019; and
· cumulative changes that took effect during calendar year 2018 as reflected in the on-line HTS available on the USITC website (see the Change Record). Users may download the HTS data in a variety of formats, including comma delimited, Excel spreadsheet, and machine-readable JSON formats.
In another significant change, footnotes on pages with tariff categories in chapters 1-97 have been converted to endnotes on the final page of each chapter.
Detailed information on changes to the HTS can be found in the document’s Preface.
The printed version of the 2019 Basic HTS will be available within a few weeks and can be ordered from the Government Publishing Office.