News Release 21-104
Inv. No(s). 731-TA-1567-1569 (Preliminary)
Contact: Peg O'Laughlin, 202-205-1819
The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that there is a reasonable indication that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of acrylonitrile-butadiene rubber (NBR) from France, Korea, and Mexico that are allegedly sold in the United States at less than fair value.
Chair Jason E. Kearns, Vice Chair Randolph J. Stayin, and Commissioners David S. Johanson, Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, and Amy A. Karpel voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, the U.S. Department of Commerce will continue its investigations of imports of acrylonitrile-butadiene rubber (NBR) from France, Korea, and Mexico, with its preliminary antidumping duty determinations due on or about December 7, 2021.
The Commission’s public report Acrylonitrile-Butadiene Rubber (NBR) from France, Korea, and Mexico (Inv. Nos. 731-TA-1567-1569 (Preliminary), USITC Publication 5227, August 2021) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available after September 13, 2021; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: https://www.usitc.gov/commission_publications_library.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Acrylonitrile-Butadiene Rubber (NBR) from France, Korea and Mexico
Investigation Nos. 731-TA-1567-1569 (Preliminary)
Product Description: The product covered by these investigations is commonly referred to as acrylonitrile butadiene rubber or nitrile rubber, a synthetic rubber produced by the emulsion polymerization of butadiene and acrylonitrile with or without the incorporation of a third component selected from methacrylic acid or isoprene. Coverage includes the product in solid or non-aqueous liquid form and includes carboxylated acrylonitrile butadiene rubber. The product is sold to customers who use it in downstream production of various products. It is most used in applications where a moderate level of heat and oil or fuel resistance is required, such as applications in the industrial hose, automotive, and the oil and gas industries. Downstream product applications include, but are not limited to, hoses, air ducts, oil and gas components, construction insulation, adhesives, mats, wires and cables, and seals for automotive and industrial use.
Status of Proceedings:
1. Type of investigation: Preliminary antidumping duty investigations.
2. Petitioners: Zeon Chemicals L.P., Louisville, KY; Zeon GP, LLC, Louisville, KY (collectively "Zeon").
3. USITC Institution Date: Wednesday, June 30, 2021.
4. USITC Conference Date: Wednesday, July 21, 2021.
5. USITC Vote Date: Friday, August 13, 2021.
6. USITC Notification to Commerce Date: Monday, August 16, 2021.
U.S. Industry in 2020:
1. Number of U.S. producers: 1.
2. Location of producers’ plants: Kentucky.
3. Production and related workers: 
4. U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: 1
5. Apparent U.S. consumption: 1
6. Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 1
U.S. Imports in 2020:
1. Subject imports: $56.4 million.
2. Nonsubject imports: $30.4 million.
3. Leading import sources: France, Japan, Korea, and Mexico.
 Withheld to avoid disclosure of business proprietary information.