The United States International Trade Commission (USITC) today determined that a U.S. industry is materially injured by reason of imports of laminated woven sacks from Vietnam that the U.S. Department of Commerce (Commerce) has determined are subsidized and sold in the United States at less than fair value.
Chairman David S. Johanson and Commissioners Irving A. Williamson, Meredith M. Broadbent, Rhonda K. Schmidtlein, and Jason E. Kearns voted in the affirmative.
As a result of the USITC’s affirmative determinations, Commerce will issue antidumping and countervailing duty orders on imports of this product from Vietnam.
The Commission’s public report Laminated Woven Sacks from Vietnam (Inv. Nos. 701-TA-601 and 731-TA-1411 (Final), USITC Publication 4893, May 2019) will contain the views of the Commission and information developed during the investigations.
The report will be available by June 18, 2019; when available, it may be accessed on the USITC website at: https://www.usitc.gov/commission_publications_library.
UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL TRADE COMMISSION
Washington, DC 20436
Laminated Woven Sacks from Vietnam
Investigation Nos. 701-TA-601 and 731-TA-1411 (Final)
Product Description: Laminated woven sacks (LWS) are bags consisting of one or more plies of fabric of woven polypropylene strip and/or polyethylene strip that are laminated or bonded to an exterior ply of plastic film such as biaxially-oriented polypropylene (BOPP), polyester (PET), polyethylene (PE), nylon, or any film suitable for printing, or to an exterior ply of paper. The exterior ply is printed in three or more colors. LWS are sold and used primarily as packaging for retail products such as pet food and animal feed.
Status of Proceedings:
- Type of investigation: Final antidumping and countervailing duty investigations.
- Petitioners: Polytex Fibers Corporation, Houston, TX; ProAmpac, LLC, Cincinnati, OH.
- USITC Institution Date: March 7, 2018.
- USITC Hearing Date: April 4, 2019.
- USITC Vote Date: May 1, 2019.
- USITC Notification to Commerce Date: May 15, 2019.
U.S. Industry in 2017:
- Number of U.S. producers: 10.
- Location of producers’ plants: Alabama, Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Wisconsin.
- Production and related workers: 733.
- U.S. producers’ U.S. shipments: $172.5 million.
- Apparent U.S. consumption: $313.8 million.
- Ratio of subject imports to apparent U.S. consumption: 31.8 percent.
U.S. Imports in 2017:
- Subject imports: $99.9 million.
- Nonsubject imports: $41.4 million.
- Leading import sources: Vietnam, Honduras, Korea, Colombia, India, Cambodia, Thailand.