The USITC’s Diversity and Inclusion Council is a working-group that operates under the Equal Employment and Opportunity Office. Members are employees from all different offices within the USITC that voluntarily apply and are selected for two-year terms. The Diversity and Inclusion Council works to spearhead initiatives that match OPM’s “Federal Government-Wide Diversity and Inclusion Mission Statement,” which is to “[r]ecruit, retain, and develop a diverse, high-performing Federal workforce that draws from all segments of society and values fairness, diversity and inclusion.”
Office of Personnel Management’s Office of Diversity and Inclusion
Mission: The Office of Diversity and Inclusion (ODI) examines policy options, government-wide data trends, and employee survey findings that affect OPM's management of HR policy, specifically including diversity and inclusion throughout the Federal government.
To ensure that Federal departments and agencies recruit and retain talented individuals from all communities, ODI will develop comprehensive strategies, like those found in the private sector and successful agencies, to drive and integrate diversity and inclusion practices throughout the Federal government and to help build a diverse and inclusive workforce, respecting individual and organizational cultures, while complying with merit principles and applicable Federal laws.
ODI will assist departments and agencies to accomplish their varied missions as they develop a strategic focus on diversity and inclusion, allowing them to prepare for shifting workplace demographics, improved services to all populations and innovation for the future.
For materials and resources, visit https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/diversity-and-inclusion/reference-materials.
Executive Orders that promote diversity in the workplace:
- Executive Order 13583 — Establishing a Coordinated Government-Wide Initiative to Promote Diversity and Inclusion in the Federal Workforce: directed directing executive departments and agencies (agencies) to develop and implement a more comprehensive, integrated, and strategic focus on diversity and inclusion as a key component of their human resources strategies.
- Executive Order 13171 of October 12, 2000 — Hispanic Employment in the Federal Government: directed executive departments and agencies to implement programs for recruitment and career development of Hispanic employees and established a mechanism for identifying best practices in doing so.
- Executive Order 13518 of November 9, 2009 — Employment of Veterans in the Federal Government: required the establishment of a Veterans Employment Initiative.
- Executive Order 13548 of July 26, 2010 — Increasing Federal Employment of Individuals with Disabilities: sought to tap the skills of the millions of Americans living with disabilities. Its related predecessors include Executive Order 13163 of July 26, 2000 (Increasing the Opportunity for Individuals With Disabilities to be Employed in the Federal Government), and Executive Order 13078 of March 13, 1998 (Increasing Employment of Adults With Disabilities).
The Office of Personnel Management also Strategic Plans in 2011 and 2016 to implement EO 13583. The 2016 plan incorporates lessons learned from the 2011 plan and “provides Federal agencies a path for continuing to create and foster a Federal workforce that includes and engages Federal employees and draws from all segments of society.”
The USITC has put in place programs and policies for recruiting a diverse workforce such as the following:
- Created a Veteran Hiring Program that targets disabled Veterans who are transitioning. Engages managers and supervisors and promotes flexibility in hiring.
- Attends recruitment events throughout the country.
- Created a non-competitive hiring process for Adults with disabilities, known as Schedule A hiring.
- Partnered and conducts outreach at Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU).
- Partnered and conducts outreach at schools and universities for Student Internship programs.
- Established a mentoring program for all employees.
- Established a Diversity and Inclusion Council formed by current employees.